Friday, July 29, 2011

Reasons why my husband should never go on long business trips.

My husband has been on a business trip for the past 5 days. This means that I got a taste of single parenthood for 5 days. And I am not a fan.

For the past 5 days, I had to manage working full time, caring for the needs of 2 small children, and somehow still taking care of myself. Let's just say it's a good thing I froze some meals beforehand because otherwise I would be eating bowls of Cocoa Puffs for dinner every night. Hats off to you single moms and military wives out there, I already thought you were awesome for doing it on your own, but now you're all officially superhumans in my book.

So, how did these past 5 days go?
  • On the second night my husband was gone, my daughter ate 1-3 rhinestones. I'm not sure exactly how many she ate. All I know is that there were at least 3 sticky spots left on one of her toys where rhinestones should be.
  • My dinner Wednesday night was 1/2 of a roasted acorn squash. Because there's NO way I'm going to attempt to make an actual meal while I have a 2-year-old clinging to my leg repeating, "hold me? hold me? hold me?"
  • I finally shaved my legs on Wednesday because they were really beginning to itch.
  • My daughter ate a green crayon. Yeah, we're at THAT stage where my kid eats stuff. Note to her future teachers: hide the glue.
  • Oh, she also managed to color on the TV screen some before eating said green crayon. (Don't worry honey, I used the screen cleaning spray and told Haley that her college fund could easily be converted into our Medeterranian Cruise Fund if she touched any of the technology again.)
  • Tuesday night both Connor and Haley thought it would be fun to alternate who was awake every hour from 1:30am-5:30am. I think I had 6 cups of coffee the next morning.
  • One night, I took both kids to the local fabric store to pick up materials for a project. Haley managed to stay pretty well-behaved. Connor on the other hand cried every time a stranger even looked at him. At least we know he won't be accepting candy from strange people anytime soon. On the other hand, this might also be a sign that he'll be living at home until he's 35.
Patrick came home last night, and I have never been so glad to see him. I'm sure my kids probably feel the same.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great week! I don't know how you do it with 2 kids. My husband is a truck driver and is only home on the weekends. It is hard with one toddler I couldn't imagine 2! Enjoy your weekend with your husband and take a little break you need it!
    rubylynns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally relate. My guy was out for five days for business, too. So I made sure my step kids were at their other mom's for the week lest I go mad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel your pain every time hubby travels for work - and this summer, its been a lot. The trips out to Cali are the longest - and somehow, the neighborhood rowdies act up even more and 6 cop cars show up to the neighbors down the street at 1am. And I swear, its only when he travels that in addition to regular stuffs with the boys getting into things, the neighborhood gets a little crazier....Enjoy your weekend with hubby :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for all of your wonderful comments! I try to respond to each of them through email so please make sure you leave an email address or have your profile set up to include your email address if you want me to respond :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails