Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Easy Breezy Placemats


When we moved to Tennessee 2 years ago and bought our first house, we were lucky enough to score an Ethan Allen table and chairs for dirt cheap from a lady who was moving soon and had to get rid of it asap. The only problem is that it isn't child-proof.

The table is gorgeous and in mint condition, but with a 2-year-old bent on destroying everything, we knew that might not last long. Our nice scratch-free table was just screaming for my daughter to scratch it/throw something on it/spill her dinner on it. I needed some table protection stat! 

These placemats I whipped up not only protect it from said 2-year-old, but they also add a lot of personality to an otherwise boring dining room table. This is a great project for beginners!

Supplies for 8 placemats:
  • 2 1/2 yards heavy decorator fabric. I used an outdoor fabric because it's thick and spill-proof
  • 2 1/2 yards solid cotton fabric for backing 
  • Sewing machine and coordinating thread
  • Rotary cutter and cutting mat 

Instructions:

Wash and dry fabric first. Cut out 8 rectangles 21" wide by 13" long from each fabric. You should have a total of 16 rectangles - 8 from your print, and 8 from your backing.

Take one rectangle of each of your fabrics and pin them together, right sides facing each other. Using a 1/4" seam allowance, sew around perimeter leaving a 4" long opening for turning.

Turn your placemat inside out by pushing it through the opening you left. Push out the corners using a chopstick, skewer, knitting needle, etc., and press the whole thing with a hot iron. Hand-sew the opening closed, then topstitch around the perimeter of each placemat using a 1/4" seam allowance.You could add an additional row of stitches for a decorative look if you like.



See, easy breezy! And pretty.

This project is so rediculously simple that I didn't go too in-depth with the photos. Let me know if you have any questions!



Linking up here:


oneprettything
Photobucket
Tip Junkie handmade projects
Sumo Sweet StuffPhotobucketBubbly Nature
Today's Creative BlogPhotobucket







Show and Tell Wednesday at Blue Cricket Design

20 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for posting this! I have a two-year-old as well AND a very "sensitive" dining room table. The use of outdoor fabric is a great idea and really provides an attractive alternative to plastic placemats! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look fabulous. Very pro looking! I'm sure guests are going to ask where you bought them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tutorial! Please stop by www.laughloveandcraft.com and link up to my Share the Wealth Wednesday Link Party! I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. came to visit via tea rose home.

    I have just been thinking my breakfast table needs new mats, and I was over complicating things. Thanks for this simplified version -- I should be able to whip up a set by lunchtime!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wonderful! love the fabric :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the fabric you chose...trendy and modern without being too busy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous fabric and great job with the placemats. Really looks awesome. I am your latest follower. I would love for you to come and check out my blog and follow me back at www.diybydesign.blogsot.com. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am drooling over your fabric! (ok not literally..just in my mind :) ) These turned out perfect! I am a newbie sewer, so thanks for posting something even us beginners can try! Following you in hopes that you post more beginner sewing projects I can try! :)
    -Angela

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look amazing, I may have to try that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty fabric & I love the bowl on your table!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute placemats!! Thanks for linking @'Sew Cute Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. AWWWW, I'M in LOVE with the bowl/dish. Where did you buy it ??? It's sooo interessant!!!
    PLz tell me =)

    greetz from Germany

    www.theisiwayoflife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just saw this - catching up on things..and will try this one :) I'll send pics when I have finished! Thank you Jen :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well done. Place mats looks great, and they do add character to the table.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Jen! I was so excited to find this post because I desperately needed new placemats. This was the second project I did on my new sewing machine. Check out the results at www.groundedwife.blogspot.com

    Dayna

    ReplyDelete
  17. Definitely going to try this! Though it might be a little harder because I've never used a sewing machine before.. Hope the results turn out okay!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Going to have to try this! They look amazing! Love the pattern on the fabric you chose. Though, at the risk of sounding like a rookie sewer lol, I was just curious as to why you sewed them right sides together then turned them inside out? Don't judge people.. I'm learning here lol

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for all of your wonderful comments! I try to respond to each of them through email so please make sure you leave an email address or have your profile set up to include your email address if you want me to respond :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails