Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Spring topiary


I have a bad history with keeping flowers alive.

I had a garden last year, but those poor flowers didn't stand a chance. I didn't have the stamina to sit out in the 90 degree Tennessee heat and pull weeds from a bed full of plants that weren't going to give anything back to me other than a few months of visual enjoyment. I can't eat them. I can't sell them. They're pretty, but if I pick a few to display inside, they die within days.

What's the point??

My flower garden became a sad little bed of wilted flowers and weeds by the end of the summer. I think I'll stick to the fake flowers, thanks!

I made these cute topiaries for a friend's Flowers and Dots baby shower recently, but they make a great spring decoration or Mother's Day gift as well.

Supplies:
  • 3 wooden skewers
  • Glue gun
  • Green ribbon
  • 2 colors of issue paper - 1 for the flowers, and 1 for the center
  •  Floral foam ball
  • Yellow quilting pins
  • Something to display your topiary in (small bucket, vase, etc.)
  • (optional) floral foam squares


Step 1: Glue your skewers to make the stem.

Line up 2 skewers with the points and bottoms facing the same direction. Using a glue gun, put a dab of glue on the side of one skewer close to the bottom. Attach the second skewer. Dab a little more glue on the opposite end of the skewer to glue the other ends of the skewers together. Attach the 3rd skewer in the same way. You will now have a little cluster of skewers for the stem.


Step 2: Wrap your stem in ribbon.

Next, take your ribbon and hot glue the end of the ribbon to the side of your skewer cluster near the bottom of the cluster with the flat ends. Tightly wrap your ribbon all the way around your cluster until you are within an inch of the top. Cut your ribbon and attach the end of the ribbon to the side of your cluster with more hot glue.



Step 3: Cut out your circles.

Now, find some kind of template to trace circles on your tissue paper. I used a toy teacup that belongs to my daughter. Fold the tissue paper you want to use for your flowers several times to get the most circles when you cut. Use your template object and trace lots of circles on top. Cut out. Repeat to get lots of circles! You'll be making your flowers by stacking 3 of these circles on top of each other, so you'll need a bunch.

Make the center for your flowers with this same method. You will only need one circle for the center of each of your flowers, so you don't need to cut as many of these.



Step 4: Make your flowers.

Place 3 of the circles you cut for your flowers on top of each other. Place one of the circles you cut for the center on top of your stack. Scrunch your circles to make a flower. Position your flower on the floral foam ball, and insert a quilting pin through the middle of your flower into the ball. Repeat around the entire surface of the foam ball.


When you finish, your ball should look like this:



Step 5: Insert the stem.

Now, pick a spot where you want your stem to go and push aside a couple of your flowers to uncover the foam ball. Push the pointed edges of your stem into your foam ball.


Now use the same ribbon you used to wrap the stem and tie a small bow around your stem near the top. Insert the bottom of your finished topiary into a square of the floral foam and insert into your chosen display, in my case some small buckets. You can add fake moss, fake grass, marbles, whatever you want in the bottom!

Now you have a cute spring topiary that won't die. It's the perfect plant.






Linking up here:



oneprettything
Photobucket
Tip Junkie handmade projects
Sumo Sweet StuffPhotobucket
Bubbly Nature
Today's Creative Blog
Photobucket




Show and Tell Wednesday at Blue Cricket Design

14 comments:

  1. These turned out super cute! I am very impressed at how great the flowers look just being circles to start with. Thanks so much for the tute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darling and perfect for spring! thanks for linking. Love the colors too. winks-jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, so cute. I love it. I am your newest follower, and am looking forward to reading your posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I stopped by after you left me a sweet comment and I sure am glad I did! I'm loving your blog - just became a new follower!

    Kristen
    Turning a House into a Home

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for linking up to my 20 minute tuesday party ;)
    i'm GIVING FIFTY button pony tailers to the first 50 who follow my blog AND like me on FB. I need an email with your address too if you have done both.
    Hope you play along and get a free pony tailer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a fabulous idea, Jen. I love the colors and the little buckets. I can't keep plants alive to save my life :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Coming over from Creative juice! LOVE the colors!!

    Very fun!!

    Kerri

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are adorable! I love the colors, much more interesting than solid.

    Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the pop of color for spring. I am featuring this today at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. SOO cute, these are on my to do list now :) My 2nd tutorial from you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE paper flowers in any form. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a bad history with keeping flowers alive too! {Veggies, I'm ok.}

    Thanks for linking to Creative Juice. Hope to see you back again this week...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great tutorial! Love it, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  14. these are adorable where did u find the little pails and bucket??

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for all of your wonderful comments! I try to respond to each of them through email so please make sure you leave an email address or have your profile set up to include your email address if you want me to respond :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails