Wednesday, July 27, 2011

I Love Shoes Shirt {a Silhouette project}

My daughter is obsessed with shoes. I'm pretty sure she has more than I do, and for a 2-year-old, that's saying a lot. One of her favorite words is "shopping," and if we make our way to the shoe section, you can be sure she'll find the most glittery, pink pair of shoes she can find.

I think we have a future shoe addict on our hands and with the way she has her daddy tied around her little finger, this could mean major trouble for our budget.

When I won my amazing Silhouette from Grosgrain back in May, I couldn't wait to try it out. This baby has made my life SO much easier, I don't know how I ever lived without it! For my first Silhouette project, I decided it was time to take my daughter's shoe obsession public. I got my inspiration from a friend of mine who bought her daughter an adorable shirt from Target that said "I {heart} shoes" on it with flats embellished with a flower. I decided to do something similar to that.

This shirt is a relatively quick project and requires very little sewing.

Supplies:
  • T-shirt
  • Silhouette smooth iron on transfer material
  • 2 colors of fabric scraps
  • 2 small buttons
  • Needle and thread
  • Sewable interfacing
  • Sewing machine and thread
  • Silhouette
  • Iron

Step 1: Create your image and wording in Silhouette Studio and cut out.

I used Silhouette Studio to create and flip my "i love" wording in BLANK FONT so it's backwards (when you iron it on, it'll read correctly.) Next, I modified the "Shoes with Flowers" design that I purchased from the online Silhouette store by removing the flowers on the shoes and creating a more rounded toe area  since I wanted to create my own embellishment later.


Following Silhouette's instructions, cut out your image and wording, then remove any negative space you don't want ironed on your shirt. Use tweezers to remove those little extra bits that are hard to get.


Step 2: Iron on your image.

Position your image and wording with the shiny side up on top of your shirt.




Follow the heat transfer instructions to attach your image to your shirt.


Step 3: Create your flower embellishments.

To create your flower embellishments, you can either cut out some circles by hand, or let your Silhouette do it for you (which is what I did.) You'll need 2 colors of fabric scraps big enough to cut out 2 1-inch circles from.

Iron some sewable interfacing to the back of your fabrics according to the interfacing instructions and remove the paper backing. If you're using a Silhouette, position your fabric scraps on the sticky carrier mat, interfacing side down, and use your Silhouette Studio to draw and cut out 4 1-inch circles: 2 from each fabric. If you're cutting by hand, trace and cut out 2 1-inch circles from each fabric.




Using pinking shears, cut around the edges of 2 of your circles to make decorative edges.




Step 4: Iron and sew on your embellishments.

I didn't take a picture of this step because it's pretty self-explanatory, but stack one of the circles you trimmed with your pinking shears on top of one of the other circles (as shown above) and place on top of one of your shoe images. Place a towel on top and iron on according to the interfacing instructions. Sew around the perimeter of your circles to secure to the shirt, and hand sew a button on top.


Repeat this process to embellish your second shoe (see below.)



Now Haley can wear her obsession proudly.
And we can be reminded of where all of our money is going.

Check out my sidebar to see where I link up each week!

7 comments:

  1. So cute! I want that shirt for myself.
    rubylynns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! That is adoreable!! I need one for me. I'm a bit of a shoeaholic. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute! My 2yr old is the exact same way! She really needs one of these shirts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO CUTE! My 2 year old is a shoe lover too! Target has some really cute shoes for the little ones. I wish they came in my size!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! Jen, that is so creative and looks so professional!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. PLEASE make me one, too. :-) But mine can be five-inch heels.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! I am always making shoe things! Love the embellishments.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for all of your wonderful comments! I try to respond to each of them through email so please make sure you leave an email address or have your profile set up to include your email address if you want me to respond :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails