Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Some Simple Skirts

In between a million other projects, I've been attempting to make some spring clothes for Haley. Luckily, skirts take little time to throw together - pending injury. I sewed through my finger a few nights ago - not my finest moment. I would like to say this is my first time, but unfortunately it's actually the second time I've sewed my finger. The drone of the sewing machine made me zone out in la la land for a minute and all the sudden the pointer finger on my left hand found its way under the needle. No major damage, just added another tick mark next to the number of clumsy things I've done.

Anyway, since Dana from MADE posted her tutorial for The Simple Skirt, I knew I wanted to make a few for Haley. I've had 1/2 yard of Michael Miller's Tweet Tweet fabric waiting to be made into something, and this seemed like the perfect opportunity.

I made a pattern from a skirt Haley already has and then cut 2 different lengths from the fabric to create a double-tiered skirt. I made the skirt more flared than Dana's version - I love it!




This second one was made with The Simple Skirt tutorial as well. If you haven't noticed by now, I'm obsessed with turquoise and brown so of course there had to be at least one turquoise and brown skirt.

This one is a single tier skirt lined with bias tape for the binding on the bottom. It was so easy to make. Between cutting out the fabric and sewing together, I don't think this took more than 30 minutes to put together. That's my kind of project! It's nice to be able to run upstairs while both kids are napping and sew something real quick.




Please ignore my daughter's crazy hair, she inherited her Mama's curls and they can't be contained :)

I've also been sewing a few pairs of shorts for Haley - both play shorts and pj shorts since the summer heat is starting early here in Tennessee. I'll have to post those soon, and possibly a tutorial with them!



Linking up!

Tip Junkie handmade projects
Bubbly Nature

Sumo Sweet StuffPhotobucketPhotobucket

Show and Tell Wednesday at Blue Cricket Design

13 comments:

  1. I love the turqoise and brown trimmed skirt.Hey I would wear it myself if I had one !!! love skirts :-)
    Great Job.
    I tried sewing for my girl but ........I cant do it hahaha
    Marisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh those are adorable, all my girls ages 6 and 2 want to wear are skirts! Luving your blog, hop on over for a visit at www.everythingelseilove.blogspot.com

    Have a great Day! -Rox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch! I think if I sewed my finger I'd be passed out on the floor. I love little skirts =) The fabric from the first one is beautiful. (visiting via sugar bee crafts)
    redbuddynotes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. love em both! Especially that pattern on the 1st is toooooooooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got the simple skirt tutorial bookmarked as well! Don't have a fabric picked out though, but can't wait to sew one (or two, or ten!) up! :)

    ~Kristina @ Our Little Lentil

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the skirts and adore that bird cage fabric. One of my favorites. =]

    I still need to get fabric to make the dress from your sew along, last week was crazy busy.

    I hope you're not getting this nasty weather we've had!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are both cute! I love the turquoise one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really cute skirts! I'm new to sewing and I've been making skirts, too. Yours are great! ~Lori

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are both so cute. I love that first fabric! I made myself a simple skirt with tutorial and I love love it. Try one for yourself! About the finger: OW! Haven't done that one yet. Not looking forward to it.
    Krista @tharshesews

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like both skirts and am considering making a growup one for me of the first one.

    I think your daughter's crazy curls are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are so cute! I really like the turquoise and blue. You did an amazing job!

    justenoughstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ohhh Sooo cute!! I want one for myself like the blue & turquoise !! Can you please make me one??? hehehe just kidding!!! Your daughter is absolutely adorable:)
    Eleni

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love these skirts! Adorable! My favorite projects are quick and easy and cheap! SOOO...
    I'm launching my first linky party next tuesday. It's for projects that cost less than $10 and take less than 20-30 minutes. Would you consider linking up with me on my first linky party endeavor? Thanks!
    http://sweetfloweret.blogspot.com
    Tina

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for all of your wonderful comments! I try to respond to each of them through email so please make sure you leave an email address or have your profile set up to include your email address if you want me to respond :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails