Friday, January 6, 2012

Melt & Pour Honey Almond Oatmeal Soap

In my roundup of quick handmade gift ideas for the holidays, one of the projects I listed was the honey almond oatmeal soap over at Just Deanna. I was looking for a quick gift idea for my co-workers, so I decided to try it out! The process was so easy, but it was the name that got me.

Honey? Good. Almond? Good. Oatmeal? Good. All together in a soap? Awesome.

I gathered all my supplies at Hobby Lobby (I just needed some soap and fragrance, I already had the oatmeal at home) and got to work. Let me tell you, this is SO easy to do. Deanna said this project is perfect for a kid to do, and she's so right. All that was involved is melting, mixing, and pouring.

I may have found a new obsession.



I always love getting blocks of yummy smelling soaps that look like they come from fancy boutiques.



I'll let you check out Deanna's post for the actual soap making tutorial, but I did change the quantities around some because I found the amount of oatmeal to be too much, and I substituted shea butter soap for the goat's milk soap. Instead of mixing 6 cubes of soap with 1/2 cup of oatmeal, I actually cut the oatmeal in half and mixed it with 12 cubes of melted soap at a time. This left me with about 2 1/2 batches instead of 5. The oatmeal that you add in makes it great for exfoliation, but if you'd rather have a nice solid bar of soap, you can leave that out.


I wrapped them in freezer paper and used my Silhouette to cut out some cute tags that I attached with embroidery thread.



My co-workers loved them! I only wish I had made more, the soap itself is really creamy and the smell is delicious. The honey almond fragrance is light and not overwhelming at all. Best of all, the whole process to produce a batch of 6 bars took under half an hour. I'll definitely be making more in the future.

Check out my sidebar to see where I link up each week!

14 comments:

  1. These look so cute! I made some melt & pour soap last Christmas and hid plactic necklaces, rings and army men inside. Melt & pour soap is so fun & easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did the same and the kids loved them :) Though I did find that the little army men looked a bit entombed and creepy :D Not that this worried my rumbustious grandson.

      Delete
  2. Can't wait to try this! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you enjoyed making the soap! Now that I've used the soap myself, I too, would cut back the oatmeal just a bit or chop it down in the food processor. :) Thanks for the link and the email!
    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so interesting and original ! I will put it on my long wish list. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is going in my "craft 2012" list. I have always loved the fancy looking soap, but I have never tried to make any. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am Pinning this, LOVE almond scented anything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to make these! The only thing I don't like about oatmeal soap is that, in a old house with old pipes, I'm afraid it will clog the pipes. What say you about that?

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh - this looks easy and a must do this year...for sure.

    I am here via girl creative - would love it if you stopped by and checked out my post.

    have a great day
    tina
    mommyscrapsalot.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH what a great idea! I really should try this!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I use a coffee grinder to grind my oatmeal - works like a charm and makes yummy soap. (Not that we eat it!)

    THanks for this recipe. I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I appreciate your detailing of the procedure very clearly, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this recipe! @WSPNews Just tweeted about it yesterday, I was able to find all the ingredients on www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com I'm so excited to try this out! Thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks great and your labeling is just adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for all of your wonderful comments! I try to respond to each of them through email so please make sure you leave an email address or have your profile set up to include your email address if you want me to respond :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails