Friday, June 10, 2011

Teething solution

My poor little guy is working on getting his first teeth in, which means anything he can get his hands on goes directly into his mouth. Fingers, stuffed animals, toys...nothing is safe from the wrath of his sore gums.

Connor is noticeably annoyed by the fact that his gums feel like they're going to explode. He gnaws and gnaws on toys, and starts to get fussy when nothing seems to relieve his pain. I wanted to find some way to help him feel a little more comfortable, then I got an idea when I found these ice cube trays at IKEA:
Ok, so I was recently introduced to the awesomeness that is IKEA when I went to Pittsburgh on vacation. Everyone was horrified when I told them I had never been to IKEA. We don't have an IKEA in Tennessee or in Virginia where I used to live. I know, tragic. My sister-in-law, being the shopping fiend that she is, made sure that I became the newest IKEA convert.

WHERE HAVE I BEEN??

It's this magical land of inexpensive decorations, furniture, and housewares. Oh and did you know they have food there? There's a restaurant inside that serves hot food cafeteria-style (they're big on Swedish meatballs and pasta in the shape of a moose), and they also have a soda fountain with lingonberry juice. It tastes like some kind of cranberry-like fruit, and it's delicious in any kind of pop (or soda to the rest of the world).

Oh, AND they have fabric. Need I say more?

Back to the teething thing. So anyway, I came home with the green starfish rubber ice cube tray and filled it with apple juice (you can water it down some if you want), and stuck it in the freezer for about an hour.



When the cubes were frozen, I popped them out on a plate and got these cute little starfish juice cubes:


Then you just take one of these little mesh baby feeders, which you can find at your local grocery store or Wal Mart, and put one of your juice cubes inside.



Snap the top closed, and let your little one gnaw to their heart's content.



The juice cubes are softer than ice, they flake really easily. It's a great way to soothe sore gums.


And they're pretty tasty too.

-----------------------------------
Don't forget, the Button Down Rehab series is starting in 10 days! Go HERE to learn more

I hope you dug out your old button down shirts for this one. We're going to have some fun refashioning them with some great guests.

If you plan on refashioning along with me, or if you just want to share the love, I'd love it if you grabbed my button!
My Own Road
Linking up!


Tip Junkie handmade projects
Sumo Sweet StuffPhotobucketBubbly Nature
Today's Creative BlogPhotobucket
Somewhat Simple




Show and Tell Wednesday at Blue Cricket Design

12 comments:

  1. Great idea, I tried frozen bananas in those holders, but it was so hard to clean then. This is the perfect idea! Please stop by www.laughloveandcraft.com and link up to my Share the Wealth Wednesday Link Party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! Most of the things I stick in there are so messy and hard to clean up after but this is perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a good idea. My daughter is teething. I have one of those mesh things that she doesn't use for food anymore (she is teething late- one year!). Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's a really good idea! I'll have to save this idea for when my nephew gets to this stage

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a great idea, my little man is getting his molars in. Might just have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a fantastic idea! My son is teething and we haven't been able to find much to soothe him. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fantastic idea! My son is also teething. So far we haven't found anything to soothe him. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You blog about teething solutions. I blog about poop disasters. How are we friends again? LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Humm. Good idea! My son is teething like crazy like now. Is it messy?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. THIS IS SO AWESOME! Wish I would've found this when M was first teething!

    We are hosting a link party called “Help a Momma Out” every Tuesday! This would be a PERFECT link up! I would appreciate if you'd add it. Thanks in advance for your consideration :)

    Kristine
    www.jandmseyecandy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW You must have read my mind! My 6 month old daughter is cutting her first two bottom teeth as we "speak"! She's much more feisty than my lil man was at this age so we need some new tricks - I WILL be trying this out :) Thank you SOOO much!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE this idea!! My dughter is going crazy right now with her teething. Poor babe :(
    I'm trying this first thing tonight!
    Thank you for sharing!

    Chrissy @ ForMamas

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for all of your wonderful comments! I try to respond to each of them through email so please make sure you leave an email address or have your profile set up to include your email address if you want me to respond :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails