Thursday, June 23, 2011

Button Down Rehab Day 4: Roll Cuff Sleeve Refashion

Unfortunately, one of the guest posters couldn't make it, so here I am again for day 4 of Button Down Rehab!
We're 4 days into our fabulous button down shirt upcycles and refashions, and I still have some other great projects coming to you from Shannon of Details of a Love, Gwen of Gwenny Penny, and Rebecca of Searching Out Simple.

But today, you get me again :)



This project is a simple refashion that is perfect for beginners.
I had a long-sleeve button down that's been sitting in my closet because long sleeves are definitely a no no in the sweltering Tennessee heat. With a few cuts and simple sewing, I refashioned the long sleeves into roll cuff sleeves with pick-ups.
Supplies:
  • Women's button down shirt that fits you  
  • Rotary cutter and mat
  • Sewing machine and thread

This is the shirt I started with:


Step 1: Trim your sleeves.

First, I used my rotary cutter and mat to cut my sleeves off approximately 2 inches before the elbow to make it short-sleeve length. Remember, you'll be rolling the sleeves, so take that into account when trimming your shirt length.

Make sure you save your cuff, you'll be needing that later.



Step 2: Make your cuff.
Roll the raw edge of your shirt sleeve up about 1/2 inch and sew straight across all the way around.



Now, roll your sleeve up so that it's resting at the final length you want it to be. Your raw edges should be hidden now.


Step 3: Make your pick-up.

The pick-up is the small strip of fabric that will be holding your sleeve cuff in place.

Measure from the bottom edge of your sleeve to where you want the top of your pick-up to be and add 1/2 inch. This will be the length you need your pick-up to be. My measurement was 3 inches from where I wanted the top of my pick up to be to the bottom of my sleeve, so I added 1/2 inch and got the final length of 3 1/2 inches.


You will be making your pick-up from your shirt cuff. You want to cut your pick-up in a way that will include one of the buttons (or snaps in my case) for decoration. I laid my cuff out and cut it down the middle with my rotary cutter, then I trimmed it to the length I needed. Tuck the raw edges in and sew the edge of your pick up closed (as you can see in the picture below, I forgot to tuck the raw edges in, oops!) Repeat with the other cuff to get 2 pick-ups.

 

Next, pin the bottom 1/2 edge of your pick-up to the inside of your sleeve, making sure it's positioned on the side opposite your armpit. Make sure you pin your pick-up so that the button will be showing on the outside of your shirt when the pick-up is folded up.


Sew the bottom of your pick-up to your shirt cuff close to the edge.


Last, fold your pick up over top of your cuff and sew along the top of the pick-up to secure it to the shirt.


Now you have a cute short-sleeve shirt for summer. I layer mine over a tank top and wear it to work. I love my "new" old shirt.



_________________________________________

Click on the pictures below to check out the other great posts from the Button Down Rehab series!





Tomorrow, Shannon from Details of a Love will be guest posting with another fabulous (and really cute!) upcycle.

Linking up!


oneprettything
The Shabby Nest

Photobucket
Tip Junkie handmade projects
Somewhat Simple
Sumo Sweet StuffPhotobucket
Bubbly Nature
Photobucket
Today's Creative Blog
Photobucket




Show and Tell Wednesday at Blue Cricket Design

9 comments:

  1. I love this, Jen!!! Great job with the pick-ups. It looks so nice on you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! (you and the shirt) Fake Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya know, I have a couple button up shirts that fit, but the sleeves are too short (apparently I have monkey arms or something), so this would be a great and cute solution! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so cute! I need to think like you more often and refashion!! Thanks for stopping by our little blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well this is so cute too!! What a great series! I love the way the sleeve looks now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tutorial. Knowing to sew well is a great life skill...

    Thanks for linking to Creative Juice last week. Hope to see you back this evening...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your series - and this cuff redo is so cute and simple!! I just had to feature you today in my Crush of the Week post! http://www.flamingotoes.com/2011/07/crush-of-the-week-think-pink-features-12/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for all of your wonderful comments! I try to respond to each of them through email so please make sure you leave an email address or have your profile set up to include your email address if you want me to respond :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails