Tuesday, July 13, 2010

BBQ Chicken Pizza

Who doesn't love a good pizza, especially one that brings together cheese, chicken, and BBQ sauce on one delicious slice? No one? I didn't think so.

If you're like my family, any food that features BBQ sauce is a good dish. We have to stock up on the giant bottles of BBQ at our local Sam's Club to make it through the week. We put it in our burgers, on our chicken, and for this dish it replaces the traditional tomato sauce on pizza to give it a little Memphis zing. It's a favorite (and most importantly easy to prepare) dinner of ours and I'm sure once you try it, it will become a new staple at your house. Without further ado, I give you BBQ Chicken Pizza!



I'm no Rachel Ray. None of the ingredients involve fancy names. This is just a simple, delicious pizza that uses ingredients that you can find around your home and your local grocery store - and that's what I like about it! Also, I discovered how difficult it is to make a pizza look "sexy." The picture doesn't do this pizza justice - it's amazing.

Ingredients for 1 small pizza:
  • 1 pre-made pizza crust. I use our local grocery store brand pizza crust that comes in a pack of 2, but I also love Boboli, it's just more expensive so I don't usually buy it. If you're feeling really adventurous, you can make your own crust to make it extra delicious!
  • Olive oil to brush the crust
  • 1 small bottle of BBQ sauce (KC Masterpiece is the preferred BBQ of the McCaffrey household.)
  • 1 8-oz package of pizza cheese plus extra if you like your pizza really cheesy
  • 1/2 small red onion, chopped
  • 2 medium chicken breasts
  • Oregano
Recipe:
First, preheat oven according to instructions on pizza crust package (mine says 450.) Next, prepare your chicken using 1 of 2 options: if you want to quickly cook your chicken, boil chicken breasts in water for 30 minutes or until chicken is easily shredded, or if you would rather go the slow cooker route, place chicken breasts in a slow cooker with enough water to cover the chicken breasts and cook on low for 8 hours. Remove chicken and shred with a fork, then mix shredded chicken with plenty of BBQ sauce. Set aside.

Next, brush the edges of your pizza crust lightly with olive oil (this will help the crust brown and crisp nicely.) Spread a liberal layer BBQ sauce on the crust, making sure to coat the bottom evenly. Sprinkle on cheese mixture and red onion, then top with mounds of shredded BBQ chicken.

Drizzle on more BBQ sauce to finish, then liberally sprinkle with oregano. Bake according to package directions (typically 7-10 minutes, 9 works just fine for us) and dig in! This is a great pizza for a quick Friday night dinner or for a get together with friends. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

2 comments:

  1. I made buffalo chicken pizza the other day. To cut fat, I mixed up my own version of ranch dressing (using fat-free sour cream and onion powder, mostly). I used shredded chicken that was marinated in a little buffalo sauce, plus three kinds of cheese, and diced green pepper and tomato. Personally, I thought it was delicious, but Ross finally admitted tonight over dinner that he wasn't thrilled about it.

    It pretty much broke my heart, especially since I spent an hour before work chopping and pre-measuring all the ingredients so he would help me prepare it for dinner!

    Maybe I need to throw some McBarbeCaffrey Pizza his way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw too bad, that sounds good to me (course I like stuff like that, Pat on the other hand doesn't like "different" food...he likes to stick to his hamburgers, spaghetti, etc.) Definitely try the McBarbeCaffrey Pizza sometime, it's proven to be a picky man favorite at my house :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for all of your wonderful comments! I try to respond to each of them through email so please make sure you leave an email address or have your profile set up to include your email address if you want me to respond :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails