Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Scrappy Flower Headband: guest post with Nature's Heirloom

Hello MOR readers!! I'm so excited to be visiting Jen's blog today! My name's Nikki and I have a little blog called Nature's Heirloom where I like to share my musings, whatever they may be that day or week.

I LOVE sewing things for my little girl, especially when it's a hair accessory. Yep, I'm an accessory-aholic. So I'm going to share with you one of my favorites, a scrappy flower headband. Not only are they adorable, but they also help you used up scraps, AND they're super easy to whip together. Plus, I can use these for her, or for myself. BONUS!



All you need is some scraps of 3 different fabrics. One needing to be at least 29 inches long and 2 1/2 inches wide. Also, a sewing machine would definitely be helpful, and scissors.

Start by folding your long piece of fabric in half, width wise. Cut from the fold to the ends, tapering down as you go. The fat end should be around 2 1/2 inches wide.


Next, either serge the edges, or if you don't have a serger, leave the edges raw and sew a straight line 1/4 inch around the edges. Over time, the edges will fray a bit, giving the headband a different, but equally as cute look.

Next, cut a couple strips of your fabric for the flower about 1 inch wide. How long you will need them will depend on how big you want your flower, and how "tight" the flower will be pleated. So the length is up to you. But more is always better to start out with. Also, cut a couple leaf shapes of your third fabric.


Lay one "leaf" off to one side of the headband. Sew around the edges about 1/4 inch in.


Lay the next "leaf" down where you want and sew.


Now, take one strip of fabric and pleat it a couple times so it fans out (pleates being tighter on the bottom, more loose on the top). Press with the iron.


Add a few more pleates. Press again.


Repeat until the strip is completely pleated.



Start laying out your flower, making a large circle.

Once you make a full circle, sew it down.


Circle the rest around and pin in place.


Sew it down. You can do a cirlce, but I like to do a triangle.
I'm not sure why.

Now, you can either finish it off with a button in the center, which I do often, or you can do a fabric center, which I will now show you.


Take a short strip of the fabric and pleat it to make a "mini pleated flower".


Place that in the center and sew down.


And you're done! It only takes a few minutes, and you can whip out a whole bunch of them in one sitting!
You can also do different variations, like instead of one big flower, you make smaller versions of the pleated flower, and group them in threes. You can see a bunch of my variations on my post HERE. These will fit a child or an adult.

I hope you enjoyed the tutorial! If you make any, feel free to add them to my flickr group HERE! I'd love to see them!!

Thank you Jen for letting me visit your corner of the blogging world!!!!

------------------------------------------------------


Thanks for the awesome tutorial Nikki!

Make sure you go visit Nikki over at Nature's Heirloom and check out all of her great projects that she somehow finds time for in between caring for her 3 kids.

Some of my favorites are her Simple Burp Cloths, Little Man Toolbelt, and Fall Pom Pom Wreath.

9 comments:

  1. Just made two of these and I LOVE them!! Thanks for sharing the tutorial. I blogged it about it here: http://7craftymamas.blogspot.com/2011/09/hair-accesories-fun.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely gorgeous! I think I will be making some :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty!! I would love for you to link this up at the Do Something Crafty link party: http://vanessascraftynest.blogspot.com/search/label/Do%20Something%20Crafty%20Friday

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute! Love Nature's Heirloom. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO pretty! I love that i can use my scraps of material to make this. Great tutorial.

    I would love for you to link this up to my diy fashion party on thursday. its called diy diva thursdays and is a party that showcases all things fashion. would love to have you :)

    kara
    www.mineforthemaking.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cute idea. I am your newest follower. Feel free to check out my site and follow me back here: www.utahcountymom.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for all of your wonderful comments! I try to respond to each of them through email so please make sure you leave an email address or have your profile set up to include your email address if you want me to respond :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails