Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Changing table to craft station


Sorry about my rant earlier in the week, and thanks for being so understanding! Now onto happier things :) After my post on how I organize my fabric, I thought it'd be fun to share a little bit more of my craft room and how I organize all my ever-growing craft supplies. I'm certainly no expert on organization, but I like to keep things simple and use what works, and this baby in the picture above has helped keep all my stuff nice and clutter-free for the past several years. Yep, my craft station is actually a children's changing table and hutch combo that I scored off of Craig's List a few years ago. And it's perfect.

Prior to my current storage solution, I had been using small canvas storage bins to hold fabric and supplies and I was quickly outgrowing them. My husband, Patrick, and I searched the internet to find something affordable that could store all my stuff, but everything that we liked was pretty pricey. While browsing Craig's List one day, Pat found a changing table/dresser for dirt cheap and just knew it was exactly what I needed to store all my crafty stuff.  That same day, we made the 2-hour trip to pick it up, and I'm SO glad we got it before someone else did! I really couldn't ask for anything better, it's surprisingly perfect for storing craft supplies.


The small shelf above the changing area serves as storage for my paints, glue, and other miscellaneous supplies. The bar itself, which is supposed to keep everything from falling onto the changing area below, is used for ribbon storage. This is my favorite part about the craft hutch itself because all of my ribbon is displayed for quick selection and cutting, and the bar can be easily removed to add more.


I use the top of the hutch as storage for my books, iron, and a box of jewelry supplies.


The three drawers serve as a great way to separate my bias tape, ribbon, patterns, and clothing waiting for refashioning into separate compartments (which I know needs even more organizing eventually :). I keep my main supplies in the top drawer so they can be accessed easily.



I have a lot of fabric, so the drawers are perfect to store these. If you remember my post from last week, I used cereal boxes to create mini fabric bolts to organize and store my fabric (I keep more in the cabinet door below and in another small bookshelf  on the floor). The small shelves on the right side of the hutch are perfect for storing the mini bolts and felt squares.



So that's my little craft hutch! I have big plans in the future to repaint the whole thing, remove the backing and replace it with pegboard, and replace the knobs. But that's a project for another day. for now, the hutch is perfect for keeping all of my clutter hidden and organized.

Do you have any organization tips that you'd like to share? I'd love to hear them!

Check out my sidebar to see where I link up each week

8 comments:

  1. I like this idea. I saw a changing station at a thrift store last week, and now I'm wondering if I have room for it in my craft room for something like this! The raised portion is perfect for working at.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool idea to use a changing table! Kinda reminds me of the hutch/wall unit that my mom used AS a changing table for my sister when we were kids.

    I keep a lot of my craft stuff in totes from the Dollar Store and they work so well to keep things organized.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool! I am still working on my design/art/craft area together and this gives me more ideas :) Thanks Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely done, your craft station looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome! What a great idea for an old changing table! Love it!
    xoxo
    Amie @ Pinkapotamus

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea.

    One of our changing tables is being used as photography prop storage in my yarn/storage room. Your changing table is so much nicer than mine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute. We have one just like this. I took the hutch off and am using the boards for shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great way to repurpose a piece of furniture! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for all of your wonderful comments! I try to respond to each of them through email so please make sure you leave an email address or have your profile set up to include your email address if you want me to respond :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails