Sunday, July 4, 2010

Red, White and Blueberry Trifle

I don't know about you, but my favorite thing about the 4th of July (aside from the fireworks) is the food. The 4th is a great excuse to dust off the grill, cut up a giant watermelon, and enjoy time with friends and family between bites of traditional BBQ food.

A few years back, a friend of mine brought a delicious trifle to a BBQ that was unforgettable. I had never had trifle before, but after one bite I was hooked. She gave me the recipe (which is surprisingly simple!) and I've probably made this for friends and family more times than any other dessert since then.

Traditionally, a trifle consists of layers sponge cake with brandy or rum and custard and whipped cream, but there are tons of different variations to this dessert. This particular version has no alcohol in it. The fresh strawberries and blueberries, along with the whipped cream, make this dessert surprisingly refreshing.

Ingredients:
  • 1 box yellow cake mix
  • 2 small packages of Jello brand instant cheesecake pudding
  • 1 large container of fresh strawberries
  • 1 small container of fresh blueberries
  • 1 cup of Cool Whip whipped cream, softened
  • 1 package of white chocolate chips
*Note: If you're making this for a party, make it a few hours ahead rather than overnight. The juices from the strawberries tend to soak the cake somewhat, so this dessert is best served right away.

Recipe:
Prepare cake mix according to package and let cool. (You will only need 1 of the prepared cakes, so only make 1/2 of the box if you want, or you can do what my husband and I do and make both so you can frost and eat the other cake later :) While your cake is cooling, prepare both boxes of pudding according to the directions on the box. Set aside 2/3 cup of pudding to be used for the topping later.

Rinse blueberries and strawberries, then cut up strawberries into slices and coat with sugar if desired.

Cut up cake into bite-sized pieces and layer 1/2 of the pieces in the bottom of a trifle dish or other large glass dish. Layer all of the pudding on top (except your reserve), followed by 1/2 bag of white chocolate chips, 1/2 of the blueberries, 1/2 of the strawberries, and lastly the remaining cake cubes.

Combine the reserved cheesecake pudding with the 1 cup Cool Whip and mix well. Pour mixture over top. Use the remaining fruit and white chocolate chips to decorate the top of the trifle (or just toss them on top, no one will mind, they'll be too busy eating :)

Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. I don't do anything resembling baking...but this looks pretty easy. I whipped together an awesome Mediterranean-ish pasta salad this year, but I think next year - or maybe for a Labor Day bask, I'll try this instead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a desert very similar to this for the fourth, but as a parfait. Very light and delicious! And, of course, everybody likes parfaits! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YESSSS just saw this. I'm gonna go ahead and assume I was the aforementioned "friend of yours". I'm famous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Hannah: Yes you are! I've shared the love and heard nothing but good things. Plus, Pat has made me make this more than any other junk food. We've also tried different vatiations on it, like brownie chunks with peanutbutter mousse, chocolate chips, and vanialla pudding. Very good but we still love the original!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for all of your wonderful comments! I try to respond to each of them through email so please make sure you leave an email address or have your profile set up to include your email address if you want me to respond :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails