Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Hot dogs and Cheetos

When I first got pregnant with my daughter, I wasn't sure what to expect since I had never been pregnant before. All I knew is what others had told me, and one thing they warned me about was the cravings they had when they were pregnant.

We have all heard the story of how pregnant women get sudden urges for crazy foods like pickles and ice cream, so I was prepared to suddenly have an intense need for peanut butter and chicken nuggets, or something along those lines. As my pregnancy progressed, I still no cravings. At one point, I had an amazing lamb dish at a fancy restaurant when I was travelling. It was the best lamb I had ever had and I wanted more. But then, it wasn't like I HAD to have lamb at that very moment, I just wanted that same dish again because I had enjoyed it so much. I ended my pregnancy without eating even one pickle, much less with ice cream.

Enter pregnancy #2. In the past 2 weeks, I have had so many cravings, it's insane. It would be nice if I could settle on one food that I really craved and just buy a lot of that food, but unfortunately, my cravings vary from day to day. So far, I've wanted:

  • Hot dogs. I never want hot dogs. They're not healthy and probably have just as much nutrition as a car tire, but one day, I just had to have a hot dog. This is how my husband guessed that I was pregnant.
  • Tacos (authentic ones). This craving actually caused me to go online and drool over a local Mexican restaurant's online menu. Sad, I know.
  • Cheetos. I mean, when aren't Cheeto's delicious?
  • New York pizza. This was a very inconvenient craving because I wasn't like I wanted New York style pizza, I wanted the actual slice of chicken and broccoli pizza I had gotten in New York years ago when I had gone on a road trip with friends.
  • French Fries. McDonalds satisfied this craving. The fries were delicious, but I think what I really wanted was the ketchup since my ratio of ketchup packets to fries was 1 to 2.

I had a couple of friends tell me recently that they craved salads and vegetables. I'm not one of those women. Luckily, I'm still able to run, so that's what I'll be doing until I get too big. Afterall, I hear it's not too healthy to gain all 30 pounds within the first 8 weeks of pregnancy. Now to find some snacks....


6 comments:

  1. Haha - Jen, I can't BELIEVE you want hot dogs. :) That's hilarious . I mean really? What about tomatoes? Does #2 want those? ~jas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two definitely does not want tomatoes unless they are in ketchup or salsa form :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have actually not had many cravings during my pregnancy either...kinda weird, because I too have a friend who is due 5 days before I am and she craves fruit and salad. The only craving that I have really had would have to be Chocolate milk...weird I know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's a baby girl thing! I was the same way with Haley, so I'm feeling like this one is a boy because things are SO completely different. Chocolate milk isn't too weird, unless you put pickles in it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I'm having a boy and haven't had one weird craving. In fact, the only thing I've craved at all has been ice, and that's only been in the last trimester. I've heard that that means I'm low in iron... so maybe it's not even a weird pregnancy craving?

    Anyway... I guess I'll have fun cravings with my second one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crystal told me she craves ice too, you're not alone :)

    Well I'm hoping since this pregnancy is so different than the last that we get our little boy this time. Only 12 more weeks to wait until I find out...sigh

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for all of your wonderful comments! I try to respond to each of them through email so please make sure you leave an email address or have your profile set up to include your email address if you want me to respond :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails