Wednesday, August 1, 2012

I'm a scrapbooking failure.

I'm someone who can't get enough of different creative mediums. I've dabbled in a ton of different things: crocheting, painting, drawing, sewing, knitting...the list goes on and on. The problem with that is, I'll go on a kick where I will get engrossed in something, only to get bored with it a few months later. This usually means I end up with a heap of supplies that I no longer use, and half-done projects that need some major improvements.

Case in point: scrapbooking.

I would really love to tell you that I'm a fantastic scrapbooker. I love all the cute little dimensional stickers you can get to embellish your pages, and maybe that's the reason I first got interested in scrapbooking. I mean, it's real-life stuff in tiny form! Maybe that would explain why I like babies so much too?

From all my blog stalking, I've seen so many cute layouts that people put together to catalog important events like graduation, the birth of their children, etc. And, now that I have a Silhouette, I have no excuse right? The only problem is, I suck at scrapbooking. I mean, super hero suck at it.

Need proof? I'm glad you asked.

I have a scrapbook I started in high school. At the time, I thought I made a pretty cool scrapbook. Looking back, I wonder "what the heck was I thinking??" (On the positive side, if you were questioning your scrapbooking abilities, one look at my old scrapbook will make you feel like a pro!)


  1. The cover of the scrapbook. What was I thinking with this? Is that a fork with flowers on it?
  2. Magazine pages as backgrounds. Apparently a snowman without a nose qualifies as an acceptable winter background. I can hear scrapbookers everywhere screaming in agony. 
  3. Sticky labels as an embellishment. The only thing labels should be used for is TO LABEL THINGS. Not as a decoration.
  4. Foil, really? This may be the best page in the book. I remember being really proud of this one when I finished it. Now I just wonder why I decided foil would make a good decoration.

I am a disgrace to scrapbookers everywhere. The thing is, it's not like I didn't have materials to work with! I have dimensional stickers, letters, and even scrapbook paper that doesn't come out of a magazine. And I still have them.

Sigh. I have finally accepted the fact that I will never be a good scrapbooker. I guess that's a major step in the right direction. It's probably a good thing that I've accepted that fact because I don't think the craft world is ready for more scrapbooks full of sticky labels and foil.

7 comments:

  1. Your post made me laugh, because I too leap head first into new crafts for a while, buy a heap of product and then end up with stuff I will never finish. At the moment I have a cupboard full of scrapbooking supplies too! Who cares how good you are at it. Isn't the point of scrapbooking to preserve your memories for your family. There will always be someone better than you at something, the point is I think just to enjoy what you are doing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Back in '97 or so my sister got into scrapbooking in a big way. She'd just had a baby and now worked for Michael's and another local craft store (Roberts-aka Provo Craft-Cricut people). She begged me to do one page for her son's scrapbook so I did. We sat there for an hour or so and I made a page...I don't even remember the theme. I was quite proud of what I had created under her tutelage. I went back the next day and looked at it again. She had taken it out and done it over. That was the first and LAST time I've ever scrapbooked. Now I make cards occasionally, but I use a card crafting magazine and just copy those so they look awesome. I think the key to not overloading yourself with stuff you won't use is to only buy enough for the project you are working on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so funny!!! They really are terrible (sorry!!) The foil is just brilliantly creative. I guess we can't all be good at everything!! I never even bothered with scrap booking - mine would probably be so much worse!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never got into scrapbooking. Another hobby I don't have time for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh! This is too funny. I have a few high school scrap books that are much worse than yours! I think I remember feeling equally clever at the time too :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way too funny Jen! Scrapbooking is something I haven't put a lot of time into. Maybe I should try again. Adding it to my list that is already outta control LOL! You are so brave to share :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for all of your wonderful comments! I try to respond to each of them through email so please make sure you leave an email address or have your profile set up to include your email address if you want me to respond :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails