We have all heard the story of how pregnant women get sudden urges for crazy foods like pickles and ice cream, so I was prepared to suddenly have an intense need for peanut butter and chicken nuggets, or something along those lines. As my pregnancy progressed, I still no cravings. At one point, I had an amazing lamb dish at a fancy restaurant when I was travelling. It was the best lamb I had ever had and I wanted more. But then, it wasn't like I HAD to have lamb at that very moment, I just wanted that same dish again because I had enjoyed it so much. I ended my pregnancy without eating even one pickle, much less with ice cream.
Enter pregnancy #2. In the past 2 weeks, I have had so many cravings, it's insane. It would be nice if I could settle on one food that I really craved and just buy a lot of that food, but unfortunately, my cravings vary from day to day. So far, I've wanted:
- Hot dogs. I never want hot dogs. They're not healthy and probably have just as much nutrition as a car tire, but one day, I just had to have a hot dog. This is how my husband guessed that I was pregnant.
- Tacos (authentic ones). This craving actually caused me to go online and drool over a local Mexican restaurant's online menu. Sad, I know.
- Cheetos. I mean, when aren't Cheeto's delicious?
- New York pizza. This was a very inconvenient craving because I wasn't like I wanted New York style pizza, I wanted the actual slice of chicken and broccoli pizza I had gotten in New York years ago when I had gone on a road trip with friends.
- French Fries. McDonalds satisfied this craving. The fries were delicious, but I think what I really wanted was the ketchup since my ratio of ketchup packets to fries was 1 to 2.
I had a couple of friends tell me recently that they craved salads and vegetables. I'm not one of those women. Luckily, I'm still able to run, so that's what I'll be doing until I get too big. Afterall, I hear it's not too healthy to gain all 30 pounds within the first 8 weeks of pregnancy. Now to find some snacks....